English Exam Preparation: Find your perfect course
Ace your English exam with one of our targeted exam preparation courses.
At GCI you have access to world-class English exam preparation courses that will teach you exactly how to prepare for an English exam.
Whether you’re learning for pleasure, education or work, prepare in the best possible way: a specially designed course run by language education experts. You can choose a course that will give you the knowledge, techniques and tools you need to excel in exams for all the best known and widely recognised English qualifications.
Make sure you’re prepared for success, whichever English exam you’re taking. Find full details below or save time and ask our friendly team - we'll be happy to help you find the right course for your needs.
Which exam do you need to prepare for?
Cambridge exam preparation
IELTS exam preparation
What are English exam preparation courses?
English exam preparation courses are specific programmes of study to get you ready for success, whether it’s an IELTS or a Cambridge exam you’re taking. They give you a targeted course focused on a practical goal: a great outcome in your exam!
You'll be guided through the right programmes for the right exam by experts, making sure you optimise your study time and your career prospects.
While many international examinations are available, here at GCI you can choose from the two main English exam preparation courses: Cambridge exam preparation and IELTS exam preparation.
For English exam success, come and study with us - we're one of the leading providers in exam preparation courses for the following international exams:
B1 Preliminary (PET)
B2 First (FCE)
C1 Advanced (CAE)
C2 Proficiency (CPE)
GCI is an accredited testing centre for Cambridge examinations so you'll be able to take your Cambridge exam right here in the school.
And with more than 27 starting dates throughout the year, you can plan your learning journey at a time that suits you.
Cambridge Exam Preparation
Cambridge Exam Preparation
There are a few different Cambridge English Examinations offered by GCI. Improve your English and get an internationally recognised qualification in our Cambridge authorised exam centre.
From €1,360Read more
IELTS Exam Preparation
IELTS Exam Preparation
IELTS examination courses focuse on developing key techniques and strategies for the IELTS examination. Our academic team are available to assist with the application process for the IELTS examination.
From €1,720Read more
Why should I take an English exam preparation course?
Getting an internationally recognised English qualification is more important than ever. And our English exam preparation courses make it a lot easier.
You'll feel so much more relaxed and confident when you come to take your exam.
International English exams such as Cambridge and IELTS are:
- Accepted by education institutions, employers and governments around the world
- Considered a mark of excellence, accepted and trusted by thousands of organisations worldwide
- The perfect indication of your English level especially if you want to live, work and study in another country
- Proof of your language ability at a particular level
Learners are taken through a rigorous timetable of class and home study and their progress is reviewed on a regular basis. Throughout the exam preparation course students are given high levels of support and guidance. Examination practice and study techniques are important components of these courses.
Which English exam should I choose?
At Galway Cultural Institute you can choose from different types of exam preparation courses to suit different learning needs.
Our exam preparation courses cover the Cambridge and IELTS exams.
B1 Preliminary (PET) is an English language exam that shows you've mastered the basics of the English language and you can use it in a wide variety of everyday situations related to work, school and leisure.
The B1 Preliminary Certificate will help you:
- Improve your ability to communicate in English for practical tasks and situations
- Gain a valuable qualification that is globally accepted
- Improve your work, study and travel prospects
B2 First (FCE) is widely accepted by employers and universities as proof you speak English to a high enough level to live, work and study in an English speaking environment. It is the logical step in your language learning journey between B1 Preliminary and C1 Advanced.
With the B2 First Certifcate, you'll:
- Be able to communicate effectively face-to-face using English
- Have proof your language skills are at a level where you can live and work independently in an English-speaking country
- Be eligible for pre- university and foundation courses taught in English
C1 Advanced (CAE) is accepted by over 8,000 educational institutions, businesses and governments worldwide as proof that your level of English is high enough to study at postgraduate level or work in a managerial position. This is an in-depth, high-level qualification that shows you have the language skills that employers and universities are looking for.
With a C1 Advanced Certificate you'll:
- Become highly fluent in English
- Be a confident and flexible English language speaker
- Have an effective passport to international travel, work or study
C2 Proficiency (CPE) is designed to assess a candidate's English language proficiency at the highest level, C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
With a C2 Proficiency Certificate you'll:
- be able to study demanding subjects at the highest level, including postgraduate and PhD programmes
- negotiate and persuade effectively at senior management level in international business settings
- increase opportunities for study or work at home or internationally
IELTS is the International English Language Testing System. It was one of the first systems to examine all four language skills (reading, writing, listening and speaking) and it is run by the British Council. IELTS is the world's most popular English test for higher education and global migration. You should choose this international exam if you:
- Plan to start working or studying in a country where English is used as the main language of communication
- Need to provide evidence of your English language skills
- Want to go and live in an English speaking country
Our blog Which exam preparation course do I choose will give you more details and insights into the different courses available to you.
Despite these special times with the pandemic, and even with my course being entirely online, I was able to notice a drastic improvement in my English generally throughout the course. And most importantly, I have achieved my desired and required IELTS score, which was definitely such a fulfilling and satisfying accomplishment, thanks to this great IELTS preparation course that has provided me with all the needed skills. So, I highly recommend it for others who may have unachieved goals, whether improving your English, getting your aimed IELTS score, or even just enjoying this informative educational journey.