Minimum Course Length
3 weeks / 30 lessons
Come to the beautiful, vibrant city of Galway on Ireland’s west coast and prepare for a university degree with our English for University course.
The course, run through Galway Cultural Institute and Galway Business School, is ideal for you if you’re an international high school learner looking to improve your academic English skills before entering university.
This is an English preparation course for university that highlights the practical English skill sets you’ll need. The course will introduce you to academic English, and promote communication in English, essential study and critical thinking skills.
3 weeks / 30 lessons
30 lessons / 45 minutes per lesson
B1 - Intermediate
€295 / week
14.06.2021 , 12.07.2021, 09.08.2021
Mon - Fri 9.00 - 12.30 / 15.00
(in summer, classes begin at 8:30)
Our English for University course is designed for international and EU students preparing for undergraduate studies in English, either in Ireland or other English-speaking countries.
It has been specifically designed for students like you who want to improve and develop their academic English for university, while also improving their communication skills. Perhaps you’re still in high school or you’ve recently finished, and now you’re thinking about the future.
If your plan is to go to university, this course will ensure you’re fully prepared for academic life so you can approach your degree with confidence.
If you’re an ambitious learner looking for a great way to get ready for your future university life, this is the course for you!
The English for University course has been designed to equip you with the skills you’ll need to take a university programme at undergraduate level.
During the course, you’ll develop the necessary learning strategies and study skills to successfully transition and adapt to a third-level educational environment.
You’ll be encouraged and motivated to become a reflective and independent learner, and you’ll have lots of opportunities to practise and develop your oral and written presentational skills.
By the end of the programme you’ll be able to:
· Prepare to transition successfully to higher education, learning the necessary academic skills required at university level
· Engage in academic research, learn to use a virtual learning environment and online library resources, complete e-activities, deliver presentations, participate in individual and teamwork and carry out independent study
· Develop your confidence in listening, speaking, reading and writing at university level
· Expand your vocabulary and communicate in an academic environment, able to express opinions and think critically
· Enrich your cross-cultural awareness
This programme combines the expertise of our language school, Galway Cultural Institute and our undergraduate business school, Galway Business School. We are in a unique position to deliver this introduction to the university experience.
You will benefit from our expertise to develop academic English language skills needed to progress to higher education.
You will also enrich your learning and benefit from having full access to the resources on campus which include:
- Technology Enhanced Classrooms
- a campus with spectacular views of the ocean
- a Virtual Learning Environment
- an on-line library
- a range of additional services including accommodation, social programme, airport transfers etc.
This is a sample timetable for the first week of the course:
09.00 - 10.30
Collaboration & Teamwork
& Note Taking Strategies
Referencing in text and bibliographies
Introduction to Academic Writing
Delivering Effective Presentations
Analysis of Speaking Styles
10.30 – 11.00
11.00 – 12.30
Pronunciation & Developing active Listening
Coherence & Cohesion