Minimum Course Length
The 50+ Programme is designed for mature students who want to improve and combine their language skills with an active social programme.
45 minutes per lesson
Mon - Fri 9.00 - 12.30
in the summer classes start at 8.30
If you are over 50 and looking for new experiences, studying the English language in a city as vibrant and exciting as Galway should be top of your list. This two-week course offers 20 Intensive General English lessons and a specialised activity programme so that you can enjoy the very best of Ireland.
The 50+ programme offers mature students the opportunity to study with like-minded students of the same age range, from all over the world.The programme includes exciting language practice and a range of cultural and social activities with a focus on Ireland’s famous heritage.
The classes are built around the Communicative approach with a focus on practical English in a more relaxed classroom setting and the pace of the lessons is ideal for those combining a holiday with language learning. During the first day, students have a comprehensive first day meeting with the Director of Studies to introduce the course programme in detail.
The 50+ programme has 20 lessons of Intensive General English in a closed group in the morning, with max class size of 14 students. The course of study is designed to maximize use of English in everyday situations, includes elements of practical language and increases students’ confidence in their ability to use English. The teaching team is chosen based on their experience and areas of expertise.
It is a mixed ability class with students from Pre-Intermediate (A2) to Upper-Intermediate (B2). If students fall outside of these categories, they will have the option, if they wish, to join a General English class more suitable to their level.
Students will take part in a variety of activities during the 50+ programme and a GCI representative will accompany the students during the social programme. Depending on the type of activity, these can take place during the afternoon or evening time during the week and full day at the weekend. The social programme activities include the following attractions:
1) Welcoming Lunch with GCI staff – great opportunity to get to know the other participants and GCI staff as well.
2) Walking tour of Galway - a great way to discover the rich history and cultural heritage of Galway city.
3) Galway Museum – learn about the history of the city and enjoy wonderful views from this cultural hub.
4) Tea & Scones Afternoon – experience one of Galway’s most popular attractions and enjoy a traditional Irish pastry with a cup of tea.
5) Half day trip on the Corrib Princess Boat - enjoy a guided tour of the Corrib Lake & River on the luxurious all weather Corrib Princess.
6) Irish Workshop – learn more about the Irish cultural heritage through one of the following workshops: Irish Dance, Irish Coffee, and Irish Music.
7) Certificate Ceremony at the end of the course.
1) Pub Night – discover Galway’s most famous and historic drinking establishments nestled in the middle of Galway’s cultural quarters, meet and talk with both Galwegians and other visitors to Galway city.
2) Greyhound racing – explore the excitement of greyhound racing at this popular venue in Galway city.
Visit Cliffs of Moher
Step on to the edge of the world and into an awe-inspiring view of one of Ireland’s top visitor attractions, the Cliffs of Moher, where you will encounter nature in its wildest, purest form. Like more than million plus visitors who come to see them each year, you can look forward to a trip never to be forgotten: Ireland at its most natural, rugged, panoramic and breath taking view.
To make the experience extra special, we include:
Return transfer by public coach (from Dublin Airport to Galway Coach Station)
Taxi transfer (on arrival only) from Galway Coach Station to the selected accommodation