Visa Information

Visa Information

You may need a visa for Ireland based on your nationality and the reason for your visit.

The visa information is very important and it is given separately to students from outside of the EEA (European Economic Area which includes EU countries, Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein and also Switzerland). 

If your home country is outside of the EEA, you may need to apply for a visa while here or before travelling to Ireland. Getting a visa to Ireland shouldn't be difficult as it is an easy country to gain access to. Visa requiring and all non EEA students must have adequate health insurance to cover their stay in Ireland and is available for purchase from the school. Long stay non-EEA students are required to sit an international examination while they are in GCI as part of their visa conditions.

If you need a visa and you intend to stay for longer than 90 days, you must apply for a long stay D-Visa.

If you come to Ireland using a short stay C-Visa, you will not be allowed to stay longer than 90 days or register with immigration. You will have to leave the country and reapply.

Guidelines on visa regulations and policies can be found on the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service (INIS) website

Visa Process in Galway

Read more

In advance of arrival you must:

  • To get your visa successfully, you will need to book and pay for the full course before departure for Ireland.
  • Students must be in possession of a Letter of Acceptance from the school confirming that you have been accepted and enrolled on a course of full-time education, involving a minimum of 15 hours organised daytime tuition each week.
  • Students must have a minimum of 4 weeks accommodation organised in advance.
  • Students must have medical insurance organised in advance. You can book your medical insurance with us.
  • When you arrive at the airport, Immigration usually stamp your passport with a visa for one month.

To validate your visa after arrival in Ireland, you need to:

  • Open a bank account and deposit €3,000 in that bank account (we help you with the procedures).
  • It is a requirement for non-EEA students who intend studying in Ireland for more than 90 days to register with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB).
  • Get letters from the bank, the school and proof of medical insurance.
  • Go to Immigration (GNIB) with your passport and all the necessary documents (we help you with the procedures).
  • The Irish Residence Permit (IRP)card costs €300.

All of this information was correct at the time that this was written. More information on the visa process in Ireland is available from the following website .

Study in the heart of Galway, Ireland

Galway is one of Ireland's greatest treasures. Situated on the Atlantic west coast, this vibrant city – like its people – is warm, friendly and welcoming.

Explore more English courses